Canadian actor Shawn Ashmore may be best known to American audiences as Iceman in the X-Men film series. In this month’s Darkness Falls (out now on video on demand), he takes a much darker turn as a detective on an obsessive hunt to catch a father-and-son serial killer team. Here, Ashmore tackles our travel questionnaire and reveals his favorite Canadian attractions, the vacation that changed his life, and the X-Man power he’d love to use on his next vacation.
1. Which of your Darkness Falls co-stars would you want to plan a trip with, and where would you go?
I think I’d probably go with Richard Harmon to Whistler. We are both originally from B.C., so that seems like a natural choice. I’ve been stuck in the house for quite a while. I think the fresh air, sights, and a little snowboarding would do me good!
2. In Darkness Falls, you’re an obsessive man on a mission. When you travel, are you the intense see-and-do-everything type or do you have a more laid back approach?
I’m a go-with-the-flow type. There are always a few things that I really want/need to do on a trip, but it’s good to leave the space to discover things once you hit the ground.
3. As a British Columbia native who’s lived across Canada, what are some hidden gems a first-time visitor to Canada shouldn’t miss?
Well, I’m not sure any of these are hidden, but Banff, the Niagara region in the summer, cottage life in Ontario, the Okanagan, and Vancouver Island, just to name a few.
4. You played Iceman in the X-Men film series. What’s your favorite cold-weather travel destination?
Drop me on any mountain with a snowboard, and I’m happy!
5. If you could have an X-Men–style superpower to make traveling easier, what would you pick?
Easy! Nightcrawler. Just teleport to your next destination.
6. Where’s the first place you want to go when social distancing is over?
Fort Erie, Ontario, to see my parents.
7. Are you watching any shows that are feeding your wanderlust?
No, but I’m currently planning a cross-country (USA) trip with my family. When things are safe and open, we plan to drive from Los Angeles to Buffalo. I’ve never done that drive—can’t wait for the adventure!
8. What’s the most transformative or meaningful trip you’ve ever taken?
After high school, my brother Aaron and one of my oldest friends, Chris, traveled to Fiji and Australia, where we backpacked for several months. It was life-changing being so far from everything you know for such a long time. I loved every second of it.
9. What’s your favorite hotel you’ve ever stayed in and why?
Hands down Le Sirenuse on the Amalfi Coast. Just Google it and you’ll know why. Spectacular in every way.
10. What’s one thing you can’t leave home without?
11. What’s your favorite way to stay entertained in-flight?
I just recently got a Nintendo Switch Lite that I bring on every flight. Hours of great entertainment!