Photo: Emily Shur/Hulu
Newcomer Lexi Underwood stars alongside Kerry Washington and Reese Witherspoon in Hulu’s new miniseries adaptation of Little Fires Everywhere. Here, the 16-year-old takes on our travel questionnaire and tells us about a transformative trip to Hawaii and where to find the “bomb” delivery tacos that are getting her through quarantine.
1. If you could go on a vacation with your co-stars, Reese Witherspoon and Kerry Washington, where would you choose and why?
If I could go on a girls’ trip with Ms. Kerry and Ms. Reese, we would probably go to an island of some sort. A lovely beach vacation with them would be a blast!
2. Shaker Heights, Ohio, where Little Fires Everywhere is set, seems like the quintessential American small town. What’s the best small town you’ve visited?
My grandmother is from a small town in Italy called Castiglioncello. I went there when I was about 8 years old, and it is absolutely beautiful there.
3. You starred as young Nala in The Lion King Musical during a North American tour. What was your favorite city to perform in?
My favorite city to perform in was Vancouver. I adore Canada. All the people there were so nice and the food was amazing. I would love to visit again.
4. Where’s the first place you want to go when quarantine is over?
The nail salon. I really need my nails done!
5. Are there any small businesses that you’ve been supporting during the quarantine that you want to give a shout out to?
Tacos Negros is a bomb taco place that delivers. Their tacos are everything!
6. Are you watching any shows that are feeding your wanderlust during stay-at-home?
I just finished Hollywood, and I loved it so much.
7. What’s the most transformative or meaningful trip you’ve ever taken?
I went to Hawaii at the beginning of this year with my mom, and it was such a beautiful experience. We made sure we spent little time on our devices or social media and dedicated that time to exploring the culture of Hawaii and becoming one with nature and ourselves.
8. Where is your home away from home?
I essentially have two homes, Washington, D.C. and Los Angeles. When I think about it, though, I would have to say my Nana’s house in Gastonia, North Carolina. It is always a place where my family gathers during holidays or special occasions. There’s so much love and comfort that lies in that home.
9. Are there any songs, albums, or artists that are always on your travel playlist?
When it comes to my travel playlist, I love listening to Frank Ocean, Jhené Aiko, SiR, SZA, J. Cole, Summer Walker, Rihanna, Kendrick Lamar… the list goes on and on!
10. If you could travel back in time, when and where would you go?
I would go back to Los Angeles in the 1990s. The music, the fashion, the shows, and movies—everything about that era is so cool. I’m infatuated with everything involving the ’90s.
11. Which famous person—living or dead—would be your dream seatmate?
My dream seatmate would be Eartha Kitt. She was so wise. I feel like she would just drop gem after gem. She broke so many barriers and blazed so many trails. She would be able to give me great advice.
12. What’s your favorite way to stay entertained in-flight?
Watching movies and listening to music. If I’m in the mood to watch a show, I would definitely watch A Different World.