This month, Saturday Night Live alum Jay Pharoah lands his first leading role in the new comedy #TwoMinutesofFame, available at home on demand on June 16. The movie follows Jay’s character, comedian Deandre McDonald, as he pursues a stand-up career in Los Angeles after clips of his act go viral. Here, the man of many impressions takes on our travel questionnaire and tells us about his favorite LA gems (including the Caribbean wing joint getting him through quarantine) and the magic of limoncello.
1. Which place that you’ve visited has the naturally funniest people?
I would say that the South has the craziest (in a good way) comedians. Up north though, New York in particular, has the sharpest comedians—punchline after punchline. That’s what I like.
2. In #TwoMinutesofFame, your character travels to LA to chase his stand-up dreams. What are some LA gems every first-time visitor should check out?
Pink’s Hot Dogs! There’s nothing like wondering if a meal can take you out of this world in one bite (I mean death). Also In-N-Out because … you gotta do it.
3. If you could plan a trip with one of your #TwoMinutesofFame co-stars, who would you choose and where would you go?
The moon with Katt Williams. He’s the only one that could make it funny. Also Keke Palmer—anywhere with wifi capability.
4. Where’s the first place you want to go when social distancing is over?
I want to go back to Italy, Rome particularly. The only time I could be on a pasta, bread, and wine diet and lose 10 pounds.
5. Which small businesses have you been supporting during this time that you want to give a shout out to?
FIMI Wings. It’s a grilled Caribbean wing spot in Canoga Park. Thank me later.
6. What’s your favorite hotel you’ve ever stayed in and why?
Sofitel. I first stayed there in Paris. The American Embassy was right next to us, so it felt super safe. I had a two-story penthouse loft with a winding staircase—I find those so sexy. I always stay there when I travel for work.
7. Where is your home away from home?
New York and my grandmother’s house.
8. Is there one meal or drink from a past vacation that you can’t stop thinking about?
Limoncello! I bought a bottle right outside of St Peter’s Basilica and it took just 10 minutes to get lit. I don’t speak Italian, but in my “litiness,” I started to understand it.
9. Overpacker or underpacker?
Overpacker, baby! Gratuitous amounts of underwear and Hawaiian shirts.
10. Are there any songs, albums, or artists that are always on your travel playlist?
PartyNextDoor is a must. Meg Thee Stallion, because she doesn’t care. Future Moguls Music, because I own part of the label and we have some dope artists and music.
11. What do you watch to stay entertained in-flight?
The back of my eyelids. It’s the best series created, and it stars whoever I’m dreaming about.