Photo: Jeremy Jackson
On Prime Video’s new sci-fi sitcom Upload, Andy Allo steals the show as Nora, an “Angel” who guides the protagonist through his virtual afterlife. The Cameroon-born singer-songwriter and actress—who used to play guitar with Prince’s band, The New Power Generation—takes on our travel questionnaire and tells us which celebrity she’d choose as her own personal Angel and what’s on her vacation playlist (hint: she likes piña coladas).
1. If you could “upload” yourself into a virtual afterlife, what would it look like?
My virtual afterlife would be some beautiful sandy beach with crystal-clear blue water and also some lush forest. Basically, it’d be a mix of Maui, Kauai, Bermuda (especially the pink sand beaches), and St. Maarten. I’ve been lucky enough to go to all those places and I love them.
2. If you could have any famous person—living or dead—be your Angel, who would you choose?
It would definitely be The Rock. I feel like he’d always be able to cheer me up or give me a pep talk and would be really fun to call upon.
3. If you had access to the show’s “memory parlor,” which memory of a vacation would you watch over and over again?
Wow, that’s tough. I have so many great memories from all over the world that I’d love to replay. If I had to choose one, I’d watch [myself] walking up to the Great Pyramid of Giza and seeing it for the first time. I cried when I saw it, and it’d be wonderful to experience that again and again.
4. You’re a musician and even played guitar in Prince’s band. What’s your favorite city for live music?
Phew. How can I choose?! Too many favorites. I really love performing in Paris and in Amsterdam. Both cities have such great energy and have so much history.
5. Are there any songs, albums, or artists that are always on your travel playlist?
Some of my top tunes that get me in the travel spirit are “The Piña Colada Song” by Rupert Holmes, “Knee Deep” by Zac Brown Band, “Mood” by DVSN, and “Sondela” by Tresor.
6. Where’s the first place you want to go when this is over?
I’d love to go back to Kauai, Hawaii. I think after isolating for so long, I’d love to go somewhere surrounded by nature and the beach, to breathe in the warm ocean air and just get lost in it.
7. Which small businesses have you been supporting during quarantine that you want to give a shout out to?
8. Are you watching any shows during quarantine that are feeding your wanderlust?
I just started watching Outlander, and I’m so inspired to backpack around Scotland. It looks stunning. I’ve also been rewatching True Blood, and it makes me want to go back to New Orleans and roam around the French Quarter and eat some good Louisiana cooking.
9. What’s the most transformative or meaningful trip you’ve ever taken?
When I went to Israel a couple years ago, I was able to visit Jerusalem, Bethlehem, the Baha’i Gardens in Tel Aviv and in Haifa, and also float in the Dead Sea. It was a life-changing trip and so meaningful spiritually.
10. What’s the best souvenir you’ve ever brought home from a trip?
When I went to Egypt last year, I got a custom necklace in hieroglyphics that says “Andy”—I wear it almost every day—and a little hand-carved scarab, which is a symbol for transformation. It reminds me to always embrace change and growth.
11. What’s your favorite hotel you’ve ever stayed in and why?
Oh man, while on tour with Prince, I had the chance to stay at the Amanjena resort in Marrakech. Not only is it the most stunning property with incredible rooms, but also the food and service is amazing. While I was there, I stuffed myself with couscous and vegetables every day, and they organized a helicopter ride and camel ride in the desert. Some of the best memories I have are during that trip.
12. Overpacker or an underpacker?
I’m such an overpacker, oh my goodness. I pack for every possible occasion but then end up never wearing half of it. I’m getting better though. I used to travel with two large suitcases for short trips, and I’ve managed to bring it down to one carry-on—but I still put way too much in there.
13. What’s one thing you can’t leave home without?
This might seem silly, but I do not leave the house without Chapstick. I must have it with me—and one that has SPF.